Back to Projects
Back to Awards

‘LE FANU’

2 Salvado Street Cottesloe

The original five roomed seaside holiday cottage residence was constructed in 1893 for Henry Diggins Holmes, his wife Marion and their three children. The Holmes family were significant to the establishment and development of Cottesloe and were major contributors to charitable institutions, most notably the Ministering Children’s League. In 1898 and 1900, substantial additions and alterations designed by architect Percy William Harrison were undertaken and in 1945, the property was transferred to the Perth Diocesan Trustees and renamed ‘Le Fanu’ after Henry Frewen Le Fanu, Bishop of Perth between 1929 and 1946.

Project Details:
Since 1990s, several major adaptations and additions have occurred, followed by years of vacancy, leaving ‘Le Fanu’ in a poor derelict state. The current project, instigated by new owners of the property, aims to restore the original grand rooms of the house. A two-storey addition confined to the north-eastern end of the site is set behind the existing ridge lines, respectful of the character, scale and proportions of ‘Le Fanu’.

Completion Date:
Ongoing